- U.S. Licensed Clinical Social Worker (HI, USA; LCSW# 3684)
- Master Addition Counselor (NCC AP: National Certification Counsel for Addiction
- Professional, USA; SUD-MAC #510667)
Hyungbum Kang, MA, MSW, LCSW, MAC., is a Licensed Mental Health Clinician in both the US and Korea.
He was born and raised in Seoul, Korea. After graduating from Korea University in 1991, he moved to the United States. He completed his first master’s degree from California State University, Fullerton in Sociology. He then received his MSW degree from Yonsei University. He also completed his addiction certificate course from California Southern University and post-baccalaureate degree from Fielding Graduate University in Clinical Psychology.
He received his clinical training in a variety of settings, including:
- Behavioral Health Clinic in San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX
- Army Community Center, USA IMCOM USAG Yongsan
- Greater Los Angeles VA Medical Center
Mr. Kang is also formerly an Adjunct Professor in the Behavioral Health Department at Antelope Valley College, in Lancaster, California.
- Post-Baccalaureate: Fielding Graduate University (2017, Clinical Psychology)
- Alcohol and Chemical Dependency Certificate Course: California Southern University (2013, Master Addiction Counselor)
- MSW: Yonsei University (2008, Social Work)
- MA: California State University (2001, Sociology)
- BS: Korea University (1991, English Literature)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Hawaii (HI#3684)
- Certificate of Chemical Dependency and Substance Abuse Counseling; Master Addition
- Counselor (NCC AP: National Certification Counsel for Addiction Professional #510667)
- Licensed Independent Social Worker (NM# I-07566)
- 대한 민국 보건 복지부, Professional Therapist License (정신 보건 전문 요원 자격증 #1000)
My primary approach to treatment is an integrated therapeutic modality. My treatment modalities are based on all four dimensions of bio-psycho-socio-cultural health. In the beginning of therapy with you, I will discuss with you your individualized treatment plan based on your priorities. Your treatment plan will be uniquely individualized and aligned with your specific needs. Providing this service for you will require me to bring all the resources from the bio-psycho-socio-cultural domains into your treatment plan to achieve your goals.
My therapeutic approach involves looking for the discrepancy between the unlimited dimension of the human mind and the reality that limits you in time and space. People in society have different perceptions so that according to their different perceptions, they formulate their opinions and set of behaviors. They defend their own theory of perception so that the science which sounds theoretically reasonable and proven comes to play its role. However, one’s perception is equivalent to neither the human mind nor the psychiatric world of the individual. You might be looking for the love from God. You might be looking for the spirit to challenge another dimension of your life. I look to expand the dimensions of variables related to scientifically proven therapeutic methods. One of the reasons why I chose clinical psychology as my avenue for exploring the world of human perception is that the concept linking the expanded dimensions appears to be one of the important variables that need to be added to the understanding of human perception. Thus, with an unlimited and unrestricted perceptual world of the human mind I stand, ready to explore the variables of your life with unlimited and unimaginable possibilities with you.
- Adjustment Disorder.
Hobbies and Fun Facts
I enjoy cooking and traveling. I have been planning to open my own restaurant for a long time, but I have not accomplished it yet. My specialty is Korean and Japanese foods. I am quite confident on the fusion of them. My best time is when I prepare food for my fiancé. I go to the gym every other day. This habit has been present over 20 years, but she never joins me. I wish she did.