Hyoseok (Hugh) Kwon, M.A.
Hugh has been dedicated to providing counseling at private practices for his clients’ mental health and relationships since he finished his doctoral degree coursework in Counseling Psychology. He is now also teaching undergraduate courses, such as Abnormal Psychology and Group Counseling, at the Institute of Lifelong Education in Chung-Ang University (Seoul). While studying in Indiana, USA, Hugh often visited Virginia to see his relatives, and now on his vacation, he goes to Beijing, China to see his family-in-law.
He received clinical training in a variety of settings, including:
- Madison County Community Health Center (Anderson, IN)
- Ball State University Counseling Center (Muncie, IN)
- Ball State University Counseling Practicum Clinic (Muncie, IN)
- Spiritual Care and Chaplaincy Services at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital (Muncie, IN)
My counseling approach primarily follows the third wave of Cognitive-Behavioral therapy that promotes acceptance and mindfulness, mainly based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. As a base, I also use multicultural and attachment frameworks to understand my client’s external factors and interpersonal history.
In addition, I utilize the basic components of humanistic therapy, such as empathy and unconditional positive regard. Further, depending on my client’s need, I may incorporate interpersonal approaches to facilitate client’s understanding of his or her interpersonal patterns, and experiential approaches that allow for processing negative emotions.
Particularly for couples and families, I use systems theory and interventions from Emotionally Focused Therapy, Gottman Method Couples Therapy, and Integrated Behavioral Couple Therapy.
- Adjustment Stress
- Anxiety / Panic Attacks
- Bipolar Disorders
- Couples Therapy
- Family Conflict
- Gender Identity / LGBTQ+
- Parenting Stress
- Self Esteem
- Sex & Sexuality
- Social Skills & Peer Relationships
- Trauma / PTSD
- Seoul (Sinsa)
I enjoy hiking, riding my bike, EDM, talking with loved ones, and doing meditation, which I have been practicing since 2001.
- PhD Coursework Completed: Ball State University (2016, Counseling Psychology)
- MA 2nd: Ball State University (2012, Social Psychology and Clinical Mental Health Counseling)
- MA 1st: Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea (2009, Clinical Psychology)
- BA: Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea (2005, Psychology)