Sujin Ma, M.A., Ph.D. Candidate
This therapist has over 8 years of experience.
Sujin is currently a Ph.D. candidate in Expressive Therapies at Lesley University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor and Board-Certified Dance/Movement Therapist in the United States.
Sujin Ma, M.A., Ph.D. candidate, is a Board-Certified Dance/Movement Therapist (BC-DMT) and Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) in the United States. She was born and raised in Seoul, Korea, and has lived in several states, including California and Colorado. She has spent time living in Thailand and India, in addition to the United States. She is fluent in Korean and English.
She received training in a variety of clinical settings, including:
- A residential mental health facility in Colorado for at-risk children and youth who have suicide or homicidal intent, plan, attempt, or self-harm behavior.
- A non-profit in Colorado that provides mental health and academic support for immigrant high school students to go and complete college.
- A refugee resettlement center in Colorado that offers mental health and case management services to refugees from a variety of countries, including Afghanistan, Iraq, Eritrea, Congo, Myanmar, Nepal, and others.
- A non-profit mental health clinic in California that provides mental health, case management, and housing services to people with severe mental/physical health conditions, immigrants, asylum seekers, human trafficking survivors, unhoused people, LGBTQ+, and people living with HIV.
I have been practicing as a therapist for 8 years, specializing in trauma recovery therapy through body-centered and expressive arts therapy. I have worked with trauma survivors of all ages, races, income levels, abled bodies, languages, LGBTQ+, unhoused persons, war victims, people living with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, refugees, immigrants, and people from many different countries and religious backgrounds. I am an Asian, Korean, a woman of color, and an expat.
Have you ever felt disconnected from yourself and others? Do you find it difficult to trust yourself and others and build meaningful relationships? Have you tried to fill in the voids in your heart with drinking, work, shopping, sex, or emotional eating? This is a common and very painful experience for trauma survivors, particularly those who have undergone relational and developmental trauma.
What if you didn’t have to feel this way? There is a way to relieve the lingering impacts of trauma stored in the body and mind.
I have learned that body-centered psychotherapy and expressive arts therapy are the most effective tools to help trauma survivors. Clients have gained a sense of safety, pleasure, and satisfaction in their lives as their control over their body and environment has strengthened through sensory awareness, relaxation, grounding exercise, movement exploration, arts making, creative writing, and talk therapy. My passion is to support you in building happier relationships with yourself and others.
Are you ready to make a change? Let’s get started on your journey together!
- Adjustment Stress
- Alcohol / Substance Abuse
- Anxiety / Panic Attacks
- Bipolar Disorders
- Career Counseling
- Couples Therapy
- Eating Disorders
- Family Conflict
- Gambling Addiction
- Gender Identity / LGBTQ+
- Learning Disabilities
- Parenting Stress
- Self Esteem
- Sex & Sexuality
- Social Skills & Peer Relationships
- Trauma / PTSD
- Seoul (Sinsa)
When I need to relax, I turn to yoga, Pansori (Korean traditional opera), and sitar (Indian traditional instrument).
- PhD Candidate: Lesley University, USA (Expressive Therapies)
- MA: Naropa University, USA (2018, Clinical Mental Health Counseling with concentration in Dance/Movement Therapy and Body Psychotherapy)
- BA: Ajou University, South Korea (2014, Psychology)
- U.S. Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (CA, USA; LPCC #11592)
- Board-Certified Dance/Movement Therapist (USA; BC-DMT #1464)
- Registered somatic movement therapist (USA; International Somatic Movement Education and Therapy Association, )
- Expressive Arts Therapy based on Movement and Dance Practitioner (USA; )
- Professional School Counselor (South Korea; Ministry of Education, Science and Technology)