Jiyea Kim, Ph.D. Candidate
This therapist has over 6 years of experience.
Jiyea was born and raised in Korea and moved to the UK for her studies. She studied Politics in undergraduate and for her Master degree, she studied person-centered experiential psychotherapy from the University of Nottingham (UK) and graduated in 2018.
Jiyea Kim is a registered psychotherapist at BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy; BACP, #00826698).
She worked for refugees (including North Koreans) in the UK seeking therapy for various disorders as well as for family and couples issues. After she moved to Korea, she was a psychotherapist in the Ministry of Health and Welfare at Seoul Saint Mary’s Hospital in Catholic University of Korea. She treated addictions, particularly clients with substance use problems, specializing in alcohol dependence and smoking cessation. Currently, she is a Ph.D. student in Neurobiology at Catholic University Seoul, St. Mary’s hospital doing research in the area of brain science.
I am interested in people’s mental well-being from a positive psychology perspective. I believe in every individual’s potential to become a fully functioning person. A fully functioning person is one who grows through openness to experiences. They trust their own judgement and ability to choose behaviors for living fully in each moment. We all can cope with the normal stresses of life and we will feel more free to be creative in the way we adapt to our own personal circumstances without feeling the need to conform. In this perspective, I facilitate your journey of learning to maintain or enhancement your self structure. Within the healthy relationship with me, you can experience safe openness and sharing about this and obtain the care you need for yourself.
- Adjustment Stress
- Alcohol / Substance Abuse
- Anxiety / Panic Attacks
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Couples Therapy
- Eating Disorders
- Self Esteem
- Social Skills & Peer Relationships
- Trauma / PTSD
- Seoul (Sinsa)
- Current PhD Student: The Catholic University Seoul (Neurobiology)
- MA: University of Nottingham (2018, Person-centered Psychotherapy)
- BA (Hons): University of Brighton (2013, Politics)
- Registered Psychotherapist at BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, #00826698)
- Kim, J., Joseph, S., & Price, S. “The positive psychology of relational depth and its association with unconditional positive self-regard and authenticity.” Person-Centered & Experiential Psychotherapies 19.1 (2020): 12-21.